• Almost 3 in 4 adults will be obese by 2035 – a frightening statistic to think that the children of today are very likely to be very overweight as adults.
• Over the next 20 years an additional 670,000 people will get some form of cancer because of being overweight and/or obese.
• A 2014 survey of children aged 2-15 showed that 14% were classified as overweight and an additional 17% were obese.
• Obesity reduces life expectancy by an average of three years, or eight to ten years in the case of severe obesity (BMI over 40).
These statistics are very disturbing. We must try and help stop some of these predictions coming true. We have to act now!
A for Active!
We must keep our children active – we can do very simple things to make this happen:
• Walk to school
• Ride a bike
• Kick a ball in the park
• Run around in the fresh air
• Go to the playground
• Take part in a sport at school and in free time
• Dance around the living room
Our children can have better lifestyles if we make some small changes. This means, getting more active and eating more healthily. Keeping energetic and eating a balanced diet will be an effective combination in keeping us in good health.
At Amanda’s Action Club, we love being active from the moment we wake up!
We help you and your little ones as young as 4 months to jiggle and get excited about moving their arms and legs to music, song and laughter.
It is essential that we continue to support our children and young people in getting fitter outdoors and indoors – we can all do it! Simple things are a great start and this can take place even in the confines of our own living rooms. So here’s how you can start, dance around to Amanda’s Warm Up Song:
Let’s help the next generation keep fit and stay healthy!
Amanda and team